Beach Wrestling Report: Recap of the Season
This year I would deem a success, albeit a hard fought one. Though we battled against increase prices on memberships as well as experimental earlier season, MUSAW had 10 events. Of those events, only one was canceled (Traverse City). After our State Finals held in Tawas, I conducted an online survey of the season to see where we can improve. I have attached all my finding at the end of the report (to which I urge you to peruse). For the sake of brevity, here are my takeaways:
· Social media is the main way to reach our consumers.
· People are talking about the events in a positive light.
· Wrestlers and their family overwhelming enjoyed the laid back environment of the tournaments.
· …but they were overwhelming frustrated by the lack of participation (our largest event was South Lyon with approximately 40 wrestlers).
· Consumers want us to return to a later season (after Fargo) and start events in the evening.
· Most will be a part of the next season
We will use this raw data and use this to formulate next year. The more we listen to the consumer, the more people will attend these events.
How did you hear about MUSAW Beach Wrestling?
· 68% were first year.
· 31% had competed the year prior.
How many events did you or your wrestlers compete in?
· 4% heard of us via email
· 9% heard of us via the website
· 36% heard of us via word of mouth
· 50% heard of us via Social Media
What is the most important factor in attending a beach wrestling event?
· 4% Fun
· 18% Date/Times
· 22% Location
· 40% Fit Schedule
· 14% Interest in Sport
Was the price of the events...
· 68% Priced Right
· 4% Somewhat Expensive
· 4% Somewhat Inexpensive
· 23% Very Inexpensive
How would you rate your overall satisfaction with this season?
· 18% Neutral
· 27% Somewhat Satisfied
· 56% Very Satisfied
How likely would you recommend the MUSAW Beach Wrestling Series to a friend/colleague?
· 9% Neutral
· 91% Very Likely
What is your favorite part about the MUSAW Beach Wrestling Series?
· Wrestling on the beach!
· Laid back fun atmosphere
· Wrestling in the sand
· Relaxed atmosphere
· The finals.
· Relaxed environment
· The great group of people
· It's another variety of beach wrestling for athletes to just have fun
· Friendly atmosphere
· The laid back atmosphere and how much fun the kids had. Didn't see any parents or coaches screaming at refs and kids.
· It is nice to keep wrestling all summer long inexpensively.
· Keeping wrestling relevant, but in a new and interesting way.
· Relaxed nature
· When I win
· Getting to compete in a fun environment
· Family atmosphere
· Good atmosphere, everyone was having fun and was friendly.
· outdoor at the beach or park
· It was fun and way less stressful than Myway or NUway!!!! And getting families out on the beach to enjoy as well as the wrestler was cool too!!!!!!! Everyone was also very friendly and welcoming/inviting!!!
· Laid back atmosphere, It was run as more of a takedown tournament and that was nice for my son, very fast paced tournament 4 matches in 1.5 hours was awesome.
What is your LEAST favorite part about the MUSAW Beach Wrestling Series?
· The reffing
· Short season
· Sometimes low attendance
· Higher price due to needing full membership and start times too early
· The long matches.
· Limited number of wrestlers
· Not having more available time to participate
· Need more communication to athletes and buy in coaches . Not anyone's fault why the meet I went to was not well attended. This could be a great summer event and series.
· Getting sand in my mouth
· Low participation.
· Sometime there is no one to wrestle.
· Weather concerns.
· Not enough wrestlers my 4th grade son had to wrestle a high schooler
· When I lose
· Sand up your shorts
· Lack of participation
· Not many people were there.
· Long drive
· Travel!!! I get that it's state wide, but liked that myway eastward always never more than an hour drive. Would of done almost all of them if they were closer. Maybe a membership and designated locations would help boost the numbers!!!! And almost all my wrestling parent friends had no idea!!!! I'm trying to spread the word!!!
Do you have any suggestions for improving our MUSAW Beach Wrestling Series?
· Set up a tournament in Caseville.
· More qualified refs
· A lot of kids wrestle freestyle/greco and still want to do beach and state meet. If beach season ended a week or 2 later the Fargo kids could attend
· Publicize at MEMWA and MYWAY events during regular season
· Start later. We have to get up early for tournaments during regular season. Later start times will help me want to stay at park/beach all day. It will increase value.
· Schedule later in year
· Would be better if right on the beach. That would make this a great venue. More of a family day at the beach
· Maybe try having some events in the evening. Unfortunately I work almost every Sunday until about 3:00. So it's hard to get to many events.
· Somehow you need to get more kids to the events
· Better weather (wish we could control it)
· The increased fee this season was horrible. I know it drove many away.
· We need more wrestlers for sure!!! It’s run really well, just need some competition!!!
· Grand Haven, Holland, Saugatuck, South Haven would be nice places. The west and southwest MYWAY region have a ton of kids so how can we get them out to the beach??? -Keep it close, I think there was only the one Holland tournament this year.
Any other comments
· Make sure Brent Harvey is there. He rocks. Hahahahahahaha
· Thanks for all the hard work setting everything up
· Great efforts by MUSAW. Also would use the rules used by the international style of beach wrestling: 3 points wins, 1 push out, 1 takedown, 2 takedown with exposure.
· We will be back next year thank you
· Great event, will be sure to bring more wrestlers from our team next year
· Thank you and we will be back next season!!! We wrestle year round, but slowing down to start little league football, start wrestling hard again during end of football and start season all over again! Thanks again!!!!
· I really liked the Block weights and wish more of those tournaments were available for kids. It was great experience for us and I will try to get to more of them next year and I have already started spreading the word. Thank you for doing it!